Recipe - Basic Deep-Fried Fish (Whole)Categories: Fish, Basic Deep-Fried Fish (Whole)
Fish: allow abour One half pound
Coating (see instructions)
1. Have fish cleaned and scaled, but left whole. Wash; then dry well with
paper toweling. Score on each side with 3 diagonal slashes. Rub lightly
2. Cover fish with any of the coatings indicated below.
3. Heat oil. (Use enough to cover fish completely.) Add fish and deepfry
until done, 8 to 15 minutes, depending on size. (Allow about 1 minute on
each side over high heat, about 4 minutes on each side over medium heat,
and about 1 minute on each side over high heat again.) Drain on paper
4. Serve hot with a "SweetandPungent Sauce" or a "Five Willow Sauce", a
soy sauce dip or "Basic PepperSalt Mix" (see recipes). COATINGS FOR
DEEPFRIED FISH (WHOLE):
1. Dredge fish in cornstarch to coat.
2. Dip fish in beated egg. Dredge in flour to coat.
3. Coat fish with a paste made of 3 tablespoons each of cornstarch and
flour, and sherry to thin.
4. Coat fish with a batter made of 1 egg, lightly beaten, and 5 tablespoons
5. Omit salt. Coat fish with a batter made as follows: combine 4
tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1
teaspoon salt; then add 1 egg, lightly beaten, and 1 tablespoon oil or
From The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook, ISBN 0517658704. Downloaded
from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, http://www.erols.com/hosey.
Basic Deep-Fried Fish (Whole) recipe makes 1 Servings